June 6, 2020
Oxnard After Dark: Fun Things To Do in Oxnard at Night
Home to beautiful beaches with world-class waves and long stretches of sand, delicious restaurants serving up local favorites, and the Channel Islands Harbor, there are plenty of things to do in Oxnard. Need an escape from LA? Searching for things to do near Santa Barbara? Whether you call Oxnard home, or you’re planning a visit to this coastal city, here are some of our favorite ways to explore Oxnard After Dark.
Stargazing at Channel Islands National Park
For adventure seekers and nature lovers, there is nothing quite like setting up camp, toasting marshmallows while melting chocolate to make smores, and gazing up at the night sky in search of constellations. The Channel Islands Harbor, located in Oxnard, is the gateway to ultimate stargazing experience at Channel Islands National Park.
Start your adventure by choosing which island to visit and where you’re going to spend the night. Camping is available year-round on all five islands.
- Landing Cove on Santa Barbara
- East islet of Anacapa
- Scorpion Canyon on Santa Cruz
- Water Canyon on Santa Rosa
- Above Cuyler Harbor on San Miguel.
If you’re a seasoned camper, explore Backcountry Camping at the Del Norte campsite near Prisoners Harbor on Santa Cruz Island. You can also experience backcountry beach camping on Santa Rosa Island. Check availability for specific dates.
What To Know Before You Go
- While you don’t need fancy equipment to look for shooting stars, check the weather to make sure you’ll be there on a clear night.
- Monitor the moon calendar so you can view stars on a dark night.
- Bring a soft blanket, pillow, or something comfy to lay on.
- Not an experienced stargazer? No problem! Download a stargazing app to help identify stars, planets, and constellations.
- Bundle up! Dress in layers. While temperatures vary year-round, be prepared for high winds and fog. Highs average in the mid-60s (°F) and lows in the low-50s.
Hike, kayak, dive, surf, and search for wildlife at Channel Islands National Park. Remember to Leave No Trace to help protect the park.
Oxnard After Dark: Explore Bioluminescent Waves
Southern California is no stranger to bioluminescent plankton glowing in the ocean and lightning up waves at night. It’s a sight to see, and in Oxnard, photographers have been posting pics of the neon waves on Instagram. While scientists can’t predict when and where this will happen, a recent sighting in May 2020 lit up Oxnard Shores Beach.
If you’re not in town to catch the glow, visit Oxnard’s pristine beaches and enjoy a sunset picnic. Order takeaway from your favorite Oxnard restaurant and head to Silver Strand, Hollywood Beach, or Oxnard Beach Park to catch mother nature’s best show.
Enjoy a Sunset Cruise – Group Activities
Head to the Channel Islands Harbor with your closest friends, family members, or coworkers and enjoy a sunset cruise near the harbor. The two-hour journey with Wild Blue Adventures starts at 6 pm, and you’ll be back by 8 pm. Explore the sheltered waters near the harbor and cruise around the channel ways.
Planning a wedding? Milestone Event? Company Party? The Scarlett Belle Paddlewheel River Boat is the ultimate destination to celebrate a special occasion. Enjoy a romantic dinner cruise and dance under the stars at the Channel Islands Harbor.
Oxnard at Night at The Collection
From restaurants to bars and comedy clubs, Oxnard lights up at night at The Collection at Riverpark. Catch an improv show at Oxnard Levity Live (reopen date TBA), or explore your creativity by painting your own masterpiece at The Painted Cabernet. Virtual classes are available via Zoom so you can get step by step directions on how to paint in the comfort of your own home while in quarantine. When you sign up for a class, you’ll get 16×20 canvas, paints and brushes, and a zoom link so you can follow along.
Wine and Dine:
- The Annex Food Hall – Bottle & Pint features craft beers from around the world.
- Copper Blues – Live Music and good vibes (Reopen date TBA).
- Yard House Oxnard – Beer and Hard Seltzers on tap.
- Kabuki Japanese Restaurant – Sushi and happy hour with classic cocktails.
- Settebello – Pizza, pastas, salads and more.
Whether you’re craving new experiences, want to plan a romantic rendezvous with your partner, or looking for something to do with the kids, use this guide to help you plan your Oxnard adventure. We hope you enjoyed our list of things to do in Oxnard at night. Where will your next adventure be? What’s on your Oxnard bucket list?
Alejandra Cerball is an award-winning journalist, writer, and travel + lifestyle blogger at alexcerball.com. On her blog, Alex shares inspiration for your travel bucket list, style tips, and motivation + mindset ideas for a healthy life.